Our packing tips
With over 30 years experience of train travel through different climates and landscapes, we wanted to share our tips on what to pack when travelling with us. From what to wear onboard the train, to our Canadian and US routes, we have lots of suggestions!
What to wear onboard the train
Dress onboard Rocky Mountaineer is casual. Here are some recommendations on what you may want to wear onboard the train:
- Comfortable, cool layers as there are expansive windows
- A light jacket or sweater as the air conditioning may feel just right for some, but chilly for others
- Flat-soled shoes with grip to help keep you steady with the natural movement of the train
- A hat and sunglasses for sunny days
We recommend that you bring a day pack or bag which is small enough to fit at your feet onboard the train as there is no overhead or under seat storage, and you will not have access to your checked luggage while onboard. The space for your day pack or bag is approximately 16” x 11” x 8” in GoldLeaf Service, and 23” x 8” x 8” in SilverLeaf Service.
Things to pack in your day bag for onboard the train:
- Valuables (purse, wallet, passports, jewelry)
- Personal items (sweater, sunglasses, a book)
- Medical machines and devices
- Your final travel documents sent via email 30 days prior to travel or accessible through our Guest Portal
Other things you may want to have with you:
- Electronic devices (laptop, tablet, mobile phone) and their charging cords and converter (if required)
- Extra camera batteries
Packing for our Canadian rail routes
First Passage to the West, Journey through the Clouds, or Rainforest to Gold Rush
On our Canadian routes, we travel between coastal, desert, and alpine climates. Temperatures differ significantly depending on location, time of day, and season. Kamloops, in particular, can reach up to 38°C / 100°F in the summer, while in the Canadian Rockies, weather can change dramatically in a short period of time.
With this in mind, we’ve put together a recommended packing list to help you prepare for your Canadian Rockies adventure.
Canadian rail routes average daily temperatures range
Packing for our US rail route
Rockies to the Red Rocks
On our Rockies to the Red Rocks route, we travel between desert landscapes and the Colorado Rocky Mountains at an elevation of up to 1,750 m / 5,741 ft. Moab, in particular can reach up to 38°C / 100 °F in the summer, while in the Colorado Rocky Mountains weather can change dramatically in a short period of time
With this in mind, we’ve put together a recommended packing list to help you prepare for your American Southwest adventure.
Rockies to the Red Rocks average daily temperatures range
Luggage information & allowances
For information on our luggage policies including allowances and luggage handling in each of our destinations, click here.